Wednesday, June 15, 2011

We Struggle With The Basics

Since 2006, students in the United States are unchanged in their basic understanding of history. It is scary to think that only 35% of fourth-graders know the purpose behind the Declaration of Independence. If there is anything I have tried to address through this blog at times is the importance of our founding ideals and documents. Without those basics ideals we fail to understand who we are and where we came from as a people. As a social studies teacher I take it upon myself to be the one who teaches students these basic ideals. Making history matter to the everyday student is continually a difficult task but one in which I take upon myself to excel at everyday. 

There are many other statistics which students from fourth-grade to twelve-grade fall short on. I challenge anyone which reads this to test your own knowledge and see how well you stack up. Go to the WSJ's link and see how much you know about our history... 

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303714704576385370840592218.html#project%3DREPORTCARD1106%26articleTabs%3Darticle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...