Monday, June 14, 2010

From My Library: "Rum, Punch, and Revolution"

This book by Peter Thompson opened my eyes to a life in Early America and a society that I did not realize existed. This masterful work should be read by any individual who is only slightly interested in Early American life or drinking.


Thompson makes the argument and supports it well that tavern life in Early America was the centerpiece of political debate and thought. Democracy in its purest form could be found at the local taverns throughout the colonies. The tavern not only pulled in the lowest class individual but also the middle class and elite. With this diverse group of individuals in such a tight location, debate naturally sprang forth and thoughts were freely expressed that transcended class, ethnicity, and religion. With this healthy mixture of individuals it allowed for those that did the governing to understand the perspective of those being governed. It allowed for their voices to be heard, which became a vital element to Early American life.


I highly recommended this book and consider it one of my favorite reads. This should be evident in it being my first review. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I hope you do to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...