Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Visiting Savannah

For any of you who have followed my tweets over the last week you would have discovered quickly that the "Traveling Historian", namely me, had been in Savannah, Georgia. There is such a rich history throughout that city I could not help but enjoy every single moment I was there. I could write for hours on every element of history, architecture, and people that enrich the beautiful three square-mile area. My wife and I stayed in the heart of the historic downtown district which I would recommend as a must to anyone visiting. We decided that walking everywhere would be the name of the game and it was well worth the pains I current have in my feet. Twenty-four majestic squares truly define what Savannah is like which is a leisurely, inviting atmosphere. Each square is its own miniature park, memorialized to an individual who played an important role in Savannah and/or our nation's history. My favorite square to visit was Johnson Square. In the center was a memorial to the great general of the American Revolution, Nathanael Greene. Originally buried in Colonial Park Cemetery his remains were moved to there current location in the center of Johnson Square. Only one block over is Reynolds Square which I also enjoyed. It pays tribute to John Wesley who unsuccessful started a ministry there in the 1730s, before returning to England.

The architecture of these homes, which do not just line a single street or two like most cities, are gorgeous and permeate the city giving it an old charm that immediately takes you back to the nineteenth century when Savannah enjoyed the height of its prosperity. There were so many beautiful homes on so many streets that it is difficult to identify a single one. However the Olde Pink House stands out the most to me not so much for its design but the history behind it and now the food that is served in it. It is one of the oldest homes in the city and at one time housed the headquarters for General Sherman and the Union Army when they captured Savannah during the Civil War. Today it is the home of one of the best restaurants in the country. After our meal at the Olde Pink House, my wife and I could not stop talking about the magnificent food that we ate there along with the lovely atmosphere. I would be remiss if I were not to give a shout out to our other two favorite eateries we visited which was Mrs Wilkes Boarding House and Wiley's BBQ (just outside Savannah's downtown historic district, make sure to say hi to Janet for me). Both of these places were excellent and must be visited. A couple tips, when visiting Mrs. Wilkes, it is lunch only, eat a light breakfast and get in line at 10:30am, no exceptions. As for Wiley's, be prepared to eat, and then eat, and then leave with even more and by the way it's hard to find so keep looking.  

Overall our experience was wonderful and there was so much more we saw and even more that we missed out on. For anyone that is looking for a quaint getaway, enjoy a bit of history, and eat really good food then I highly recommend visiting Savannah.

1 comment:

  1. Just discovered your blog. Great post on Savannah, it's such a magical and haunting place! I just started watching Ken Burns documentary on the Civil War. Can't wait to dig into your archives about it.

    Happy Travels
    Tami

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...